Thursday, May 22, 2008

HomeSchool - How my journey started

As T approaches the big 2 (20 mths..., 2 yrs old...), I start to think more about how to prepare her for her future (IE, school).

I am not keen to send her to pre-nursery. These places starts accepting students from 1.5 to 2 yrs and put them on an strict academic curriculum. I am not confident that the traditional schooling style is the kind I would like to expose T to at this early edge. As the saying goes, it is easy to draw on a fresh white paper, but difficult to unlearnt what has been taught and start all over again.

On the other hand, I worry that this decision of mine may potentially cause her developments to fall behind that of her peers in the future.

As such, I started to research on pre-schoolers activities and come across many home schooling sites. How I wish I can have the previledge to be a SAHM and home school my children. Alas, this is not an option for me.

However, thou shall not give up so easily !

I still have the weekends and 1 - 2 hours every day that I spend with her that can be put into good use. I shall try to manage my time better and plan a more structured learning environment when I am home with T.

This is one of my main reasons for starting this blog. During my research, I found many successful homeschooling stories. However, all of these stories had SAHM. I believe there are many FTWM like myself who wish to do more for and with their kids. If people can work and study part time for their degrees / masters / doctorates, I belief that we too can work during the day and provide a good part time education to our kids in the evening and the weekends too.

I hope we can share more ideas here on how to make part time home schooling successful for FTWM.