Sunday, June 1, 2008

HomeSchool - Which program to use?

I spent some time researching into homeschooling the past weeks. Glenn Dorman, Charlotte Mason, Shinchida, etc..... It was hard to decide which to choose.

I knew that those which were too academically inclined and required too much discipline would not work for me. I wanted to the able to teach T and also enjoy the lessons at the same time. After all, as a working mum we only had the weekend to enjoy each other and I don't want to turn it into a love / hate relationship. I knew that if I would have to persuade myself into carry out the lesson, I am sure I would give it up very soon.

I have decided to give the montessori method a try. Montessori is about a way of life. It encourages the child to learn how to learn by and for himself. It uses learning by doing, rather than just memorising. After reading more about their school of thought, I was more confident that this is something that I should be able to do and follow through.

For young toddlers, Montessori stresses about the importance of learning practical life skill first, rather than rushing into the ABCs and 123s. I agree with this. After all, in our generation we didn't learn all these until we went into Kindergarden and we did fine, so what's the rush. I rather she built her confidence knowing that she can put on her own shoes, feed herself, etc.... and have a chance, freedom and independence to do things for herself.